Do you have a large backyard and want to create a private space for yourself? Then privacy walls are the ticket to creating your very own intimate space.
Sure, you can buy a privacy wall. But it can be pricey and sometimes will not fit your desired length and style. If you have an idea and an example to follow, it’s easier than ever to start a DIY project. This guide will give you all the materials you need to get started, a detailed step-by-step process, and some other ideas to spark your imagination. So what are you waiting for? Let’s dive in!
What is a privacy wall?
A privacy wall is a screen that can give you the solitude and seclusion you need to enjoy your garden, patio, or any seating area. But it’s not just about the function; a privacy wall can also add style and serve as a focal point to define the boundaries of a particular area within a larger space. Whether you prefer the look of wood, stone, concrete, metal, or even plants, the design options are endless.
From modern to rustic, you can find a style that suits your taste and the overall theme of your space. See, people from both residential and rural areas love incorporating privacy walls into their outdoor spaces. Why? It’s the perfect way to create a comfortable, private retreat in your backyard.
- Dimensional Lumber:
- Wood Glue
- Circular Saw
- Hand drills
- Paint and brush
Here’s a Step by Step:
Here’s a video of “Fraser Valley Rose Farm” that can help you visualize this DIY build.
We know you’re excited to get this project rolling, so for a quick summary of the video above, we’ve broken down the entire process into these simple steps for you to follow:
1. Use your circular saw to cut down your 1×2, and 2×3 lumbers to a six-foot length. You can change the length of your cut to your desired height once it is installed vertically.
2. Apply glue to the edge of the broad side of a 2×3 and take a 1×2, and lay it on the edge. Clamp it down on both ends to secure it.
3. Roll the wood forward and apply screws through the back edge of what will be the rail. Don’t worry; you will never see these screws as this side will face the post you’ll install it into.
4. Place the slats you will use that will eventually be one of the horizontal portions of the screen. Apply glue and the second 1×2 to make up the 2nd guard rail. Add a little space between the slat and the 1×2. You can use a ruler to create extra space so the slats will slide down perfectly later.
5. Repeat steps 2 and 3 on this side. When you remove the clamps, this will be the eventual shape of the rail.
6. Using a 1×3, trace the bottom of the rail and match the shape of the bottom channel. Apply screws to secure.
7. Repeat steps 1 to 7 and make another base for the other side. You can keep repeating this process depending on the wall length you are covering.
8. Before installing the rails, paint the two rails with the color of your choice.
9. Place both of the rails into your desired fence posts. Make sure that it is completely level vertically. Slide a slat into the rails and make sure it is horizontally level.
10. And that’s the whole setup! You can make spacers by cutting 1x2s into little blocks and using them as spacers. Stack the wood slats until you get your desired height.
This DIY is easy, simple, and quick to finish! Because of its versatility, you can always adjust the length of the fence boards and the height of your wooden rails to match your needs. Once done, your outdoor privacy wall can look something like this.
If you choose to go a different path with the design and materials used, here are 5 privacy wall ideas to spark your imagination.
Get More Inspiration From These 5 DIY Privacy Wall Ideas
1. Simple Plank Privacy Panel
Image By: Melanie Loughin
No posts to place on a privacy wall? No problem! Using planks and dimensional wood, you can cover an outdoor living space just by propping it against the wall.
This easy DIY idea will surely be a hit for you, especially when you have privacy issues with nosey neighbors. Plus, since it can easily be moved, you can place it wherever and whenever you want!
2. Flower Box/ Privacy Wall Combo
Image By: Alicia Larie
Peaceful, beautiful, and secure? Count this idea in! This awesome flower box and wall combo will let you bloom your favorite flowers in the flower box and enjoy your private time from an outsider’s eyes.
And if you’re worried about airflow, the spacing of wooden privacy screens allows wind to pass through them easily. Place this in your patio or backyard seating area, add some string lights and furniture, and you’re golden!
3. Chevron Privacy Wall
Image By: DIY Passion
If you are aiming for a modern and classy look, you must check out this chevron pattern fence style. This project incorporates the chevron pattern to create eye-catching symmetrical elements, making it the perfect background for your photos. Take pride in your work when your neighbors think you paid for a landscape designer with those architectural elements.
Pair it with outdoor plants for finishing touches on your wood deck, and your family hangout spot will be slick and sophisticated (and adding maximum privacy too).
4. Outdoor Bamboo Privacy Fence
Image By: Foter Magazine
Bamboo’s a sustainable solution, eco-friendly, and weather-resistant. This outdoor bamboo fence is a perfect choice for additional privacy and style in your outdoor space if you want a natural look that blends well with nature and requires minimal maintenance.
Whether you want to create a cozy seating area, block out the sunlight, or simply enjoy it in your yard or garden, this idea is an excellent choice that combines beauty, functionality, and sustainability.
5. Living Lattice Walls
Image By: Pretty Handy Girl
What’s the perfect cover other than nature itself? With this natural privacy fence, you can place your plants and flowers in plant holders on a trellis wall and use them as natural curtains to block unwanted onlookers into your home while keeping the environment in mind.
You can seed climbing plants and let them grow into the wall, creating the perfect living wall you aim for. This natural privacy solution lets you finally enjoy your morning coffee in your garden space.
Before building your project, research and comply with local regulations. Confirm with the building department the requirements and guidelines you will need, like a fence permit or building permit. It’s essential to submit your plans and placement information to the architectural review committee if you reside in a development with building covenants. Take advantage of this step to avoid issues down the line.
Make sure to mark your utilities, such as underground gas lines and cables, before digging post holes. Most states have a toll-free number for this service, and you can get their number from the building department. Mark the position of your privacy wall with spray paint or stakes before digging.
Building a privacy screen is a great way to create a sense of seclusion and privacy in your outdoor space. By following the steps outlined in this post, you can construct a sturdy and attractive privacy wall that meets your needs and enhances your yard’s or garden’s beauty.
Consider factors such as materials, location, and design when planning your privacy wall. Feel free to get creative and experiment with different styles and finishes. With a little effort and careful planning, you can build something that provides comfort, security, and beauty for years to come.