Are you a gardening enthusiast looking to extend your growing season or protect your plants from harsh weather conditions? Do you dream of having your own backyard greenhouse but find the high costs of professional installation a major barrier? Well, we have good news for you! With a little bit of creativity and some simple tools and materials, you can build your own DIY greenhouse using PVC pipe.
In this blog post, we will walk you through the entire process of building a DIY PVC greenhouse from start to finish. Once you’re done reading, you’ll have a comprehensive list of materials and tools, detailed step-by-step instructions, and tips and tricks to help you succeed.
Let’s get started!
What is a Greenhouse, and Why Does it Matter?
A cold frame greenhouse (also called a cold frame) is a glass or transparent structure that allows sunlight to enter and retain heat, creating a warm and controlled environment for plants to thrive in, even in places with a colder climate.
But it is more than just a structure. It’s a tool that can help you take your gardening to the next level. It also protects your favorite plants from extreme weather conditions such as frost, hail, or heavy rain. You can also get extra time by extending your growing season by starting seeds earlier in the year or growing plants later into the fall.
Additionally, the greenhouse designs allow you to have greater control over the growing conditions of your plants. You can regulate the temperature, humidity, and ventilation, creating an optimal environment for growth. This means you can grow a wider variety of garden plants, even those not native to your area.
So why does it matter? Simply put, it matters because it can help you achieve your gardening goals and create a more sustainable and self-sufficient lifestyle. Whether you’re a seasoned gardener or just starting out, a lovely greenhouse can be a valuable asset in your gardening toolkit.
Frame Materials and Tools:
For the greenhouse frame:
- 6x 1.5 inch 7m PVC Pipe*
- 3x 1.5 inch 5m *
- 12x 1.8 inch 0.5m *
- 1x 7x9m UV resistant nylon
For the dorm and frame:
- 4 x1.5 inch 2m *
- 4x 1.5 inch 1.15m *
- 4x 1.5 inch 1.8m *
- 6x 1.5 inch 1m *
- Tape measure
This greenhouse tutorial is quick and easy to assemble! This fun project does not require wood boards or rebars to make the frame, and the cost of supplies required is fairly cheap! You can customize the length and width of your build to fit your goal.
To help you visualize this guide, we’ll use a helpful video from DIY YouTuber ‘WM DIY’ titled “Easy way to build PVC greenhouse DIY” which gives a simple walkthrough of this project. I know you probably have lots of important things to do; that’s why we’ve broken down the steps for you to follow!
1. Take the 1.8 in. 0.5m pipe and cut them 1m apart with a saw. You should now have 12 pipes of this size.
2. Using the pipes you just cut, hammer them into the ground in pairs and leave 10-15 cm above the ground to stick out. Make sure the pipes line up perfectly using a tape measure.
3. Insert the 1.5 inc 7m pipe into the base. This will make the arched roof of our PVC pipe greenhouse.
4. Line them up and connect them with 1.5 in. 5m. Place them in the center sections of the frame (refer to the picture below). Use ties to secure them.
5. Make the door frame 1.5 in. 2m and 1.5 inc 1.15m pipes. You can use pipe connectors to make the door frame and ties to secure it to the arched greenhouse.
6. Dig up a 20cm wide, 20cm deep channel using a shovel before placing the UV-resistant nylon in the greenhouse frame. The gap will secure the nylon by burying it with dirt.
7. When you’re done securing the nylon, this will build a 5m long, 3m wide gorgeous greenhouse.
Tips and Reminders
- Plan and design your dream greenhouse: Before you start building, research greenhouse plans to make or start your own design. Consider the size, materials, location, and kinds of plants you want to grow. Ensure you have enough space and sunlight on the plot of land you plan to place your backyard greenhouse.
- Choose the right materials: There are many different materials you can use for your, including wood, PVC pipes, and plastic sheeting. Choose materials that are durable, weather-resistant, and suitable for the climate in your area.
- Build a sturdy foundation: A sturdy foundation are essential for strong and stable greenhouse designs. You can use concrete, bricks, or pressure-treated lumber for your foundation.
- Install proper ventilation: Proper ventilation is important for maintaining a healthy environment inside your lovely greenhouse. You can install vents, fans, or louvers to regulate the temperature and humidity.
- Consider heating and cooling systems: Depending on the climate in your area, you may need to install heating and cooling systems to maintain a stable temperature. You can use heaters, heat lamps, or even solar panels.
- Add shelving and storage: You can build shelves and benches using wood or metal, or you can repurpose old furniture to help you organize your plants and gardening tools for extra greenhouse capacity.
- Monitor your plants: Once set up, monitoring your plants regularly is important. Check the temperature, humidity, and moisture levels, and adjust as needed. You should also be vigilant for pests and diseases.
Congratulations, you’ve done it! You’ve read the comprehensive guide and successfully learned how to build your own DIY greenhouse using PVC pipe. Not only can you save a significant amount of money with an inexpensive option, but you can also gain a valuable tool in your gardening toolkit that will help you extend your growing season and protect your plants from harsh weather conditions.
If you decide to work on this project, remember that a PVC pipe greenhouse is a living and breathing space that requires ongoing care and attention. Regular maintenance, such as cleaning and repairing any damages, will ensure that it continues to function optimally and provides a safe and nurturing environment for your plants.
Building a DIY greenhouse using PVC pipe is a rewarding and satisfying project that can significantly impact your gardening success. With the right tools, materials, and guidance, you can create a functional and brilliant greenhouse that will provide you with fresh produce and beautiful blooms all year round. So what are you waiting for? Roll up your sleeves and start your DIY greenhouse project today!