Picking the right storage for your home is not easy. And when it comes to deciding between a stick-built garage and a pole barn, it gets even harder to choose. It’s a big decision!
In this blog, we’re going to the nitty-gritty of stick-built garages and pole barns. They both have different purposes, from simple storage spaces to agricultural buildings. Which one is worth your money? How do they hold up in bad weather? And most importantly, which one is best for what you need?
Get ready, because we’re starting a journey to learn everything you need to know to pick the best option for your home. By the end, you’ll be ready to make your choice like an expert!
1. Construct a durable storage space with stick-built garages.
Image By: Hill View Mini Barns
When you want to build a garage that’s strong and can be changed to fit your needs, stick-built garages are a great choice.
- Customized Building for Quality: Building a stick-built structure means making it piece by piece right where it will stand. This lets you change things more easily. For example, you can add a carport garage or additional office space.
- Strong Materials for Long Use: These wooden structures use treated wood to resist rot and bugs. This keeps your garage strong against harsh weather like heavy snow loads.
- Solid Concrete Foundation: The use of a concrete slab foundation ensures stability and structural integrity, making it a suitable choice for residential framing construction.
- Different Roof Choices: You can pick between rafters or trusses for the roof. Rafters are good if you want extra space like a loft. This is great for extra living or storage space.
Choosing a stick-built garage means you’re picking something that’s high-quality, lasts a long time, and can be changed to fit what you need. Whether you want to store cars, have a workshop, or extra living space, these garages are a flexible and lasting choice.
2. Utilize a cost-effective construction method with pole barns
Image By: Jacks on Metal Roof
Pole barns, also known as post frame buildings, have a different construction method. They are ideal for a variety of purposes like space for parking or a workshop. They are popular because they cost less and are easy to build.
- Fast Building with Ready-Made Kits: Pole barn construction has faster construction time because the materials come already cut and ready to use. You can usually build one in just a few days.
- Affordable Option with Easy Construction Process: If you’re looking to save money, a pole barn is a good choice. They often cost less than stick-built garages because they have fewer parts and are easier to build.
- High Ceilings for Ample Space: Pole barns are great for storing big things like farm equipment because they have high ceilings. This is also helpful when you are planning to adapt it into different types of buildings, from agricultural to commercial buildings.
- Metal Walls for Strength and Pest Protection: The steel walls in pole barns are very strong and keep pests like termites away. But they don’t keep heat in as well as other materials.
But there are some things to think about. The trusses in the ceilings of pole barns can make it hard to add a second floor or a lot of storage. And the metal walls are strong, but they may not be the best for living spaces or home offices because they don’t hold heat very well.
To sum it up, pole barns are a good, budget-friendly choice for making your garage bigger or for new workshop areas. They may not have as many options to change things as stick-built garages, but they are fast to build, cost-effective, and have high ceilings, which many homeowners like.
3. Make the right choice by understanding their advantages and disadvantages
- More Durable: These garages are very strong and can handle different weather conditions, which means they last a long time.
- Can Have More Floors: You have the option to add more levels to the garage, which is great for extra space or living areas.
- Easier to Change the Design: You can make a stick-built garage look and function just how you want it, with many design choices.
- Takes Longer to Design: Planning these garages can take a while because there are so many ways to customize them.
- Longer to Get a Building Permit: Since the design is more detailed, it may take longer to get approval to start building.
- Longer to Build: They take more time to build because of their detailed designs and customization.
Pole Barn Garage:
- Costs Less: They are usually cheaper because they are simpler to build and use fewer materials.
- Easier Site Preparation: Less work is needed to get the site ready, so you can start building sooner.
- Quicker to Install: The pre-made kits and simpler design mean you can build these garages faster.
- High Ceilings: They are often built with high ceilings, which is perfect for storing big equipment or vehicles.
- Not as Customizable: You don’t have as many options to change things as you do with stick-built garages.
- Not as Strong: They may not be as tough as stick-built garages, especially in really bad weather.
- Cost More to Heat and Cool: It can be more expensive to keep these garages at a comfortable temperature.
- Less Value Added to Home: They may not increase the value of your home as much as a stick-built garage because they are simpler and don’t look as fancy.
In summary, stick-built garages are strong and can be customized a lot, but they take more time and have higher building costs. Pole barn garages are cheaper and faster to build, but they aren’t as strong or customizable.
Garage or Pole Barn? Simplify DIY with a MAGNATRAC®
Choosing between a garage or pole barn for your property can be a lot, but building them yourself will be simple with a MAGNATRAC®. This small but powerful machine is a game changer in building and taking care of your property.
The MAGNATRAC® is great for getting the site ready, moving materials, and doing the heavy lifting. You may even use it to do your other DIY projects or do some side gigs (and maybe earn some extra cash while you’re at it!). Click here to request a catalog to find the perfect MAGNATRAC® model for your needs!
Now, it’s time to decide!
And there you have it – we’ve reached the end of our big comparison between the strong stick-built garage and the tough pole barn. You came looking for answers, and we hope you now have lots of information to help you choose what’s best for your home.
Remember, whether you like the traditional look and ability to change a stick-built garage, or the practical, big space of a pole barn, your choice depends on what you need, your budget, and your plans for your property.
Now that you know more from this guide, you’re ready to make a smart and confident choice. Go ahead and build the perfect storage space for you, one that stands strong like your goals. Here’s to making good decisions and creating a space that’s useful and inspiring!